Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hometown Castles

Dream: I was back in my childhood home town, walking down the main street. I remember I was talking to a famous geek celebrity icon, when we passed a comic shop (which is odd, as my home town never had a comic shop). It wasn't very big, but it did have a second floor which was just a balcony. I have a strange recollection of hanging from the balcony to get to some of the particularly good titles.

Then I was outside in the street again. I was alone, but I knew some of my friends were nearby, but I didn't want to see any of them. I wanted to be alone. So I hid. Part of the town had become almost medieval, like the remains of an ancient city that had become a tourist attraction. Some guards who were dressed in period uniform warned me that it was getting close to the time when the daily procession would start and the street would close, if I wanted to avoid it I should move.

I took their advice, and wandered through a couple of doors into part of the town's keep (again, my hometown doesn't have any medieval fortifications). It was dark and cool in there, just like most medieval remains, and my eyesight hadn't adjusted. I fumbled around in the dark, going through door after door until I was completely lost.

I ended up in a large room, waiting for my night-vision to settle. I was in a room with loads of exhibits, but one of the old tables had a lot of cardboard models of rooms of the castle on it. I'd accidentally picked one up in the dark, and had ruined part of it. I felt really bad, and tried frantically to put the bits of blue cardboard together to make the model of the banqueting table complete again, but I'd already torn part of it and it could never be fixed.

Adventure: It seems like the subject was trying to hide from multiple things, their friends, the authorities, the procession. What were they trying to hide, and why were they avoiding people? Was the model symbolic of something, something they felt guilty at destroying?

No comments:

Post a Comment