Monday, September 17, 2012

Alone in the Mist

Dream: It all started with a tweed suit and a 1970's school coach trip. The coaches were parked in a layby and I was waiting for everyone to return. I had a clipboard of names and was clearly younger and a seventies drop-out ex-hippie teacher. I sat in the cab waiting and turned the radio on. There was an emergency broadcast and then silence. Then there was nobody around, just me. I had to hike back to the city as the coach wouldn't start. All the roads were empty, if there was a car parked at the roadside, it didn't work and looked as if it was covered in ice and underwater.

I began wandering through the outskirts of the city, everything had a dusty/icey sheen to it. I didn't want to touch anything. A low grey mist hung over the city but it appeared to have been uninhabited for years rather than the length of the coach trip. I then just walked around, through deserted buildings and shops and  empty houses. At no point did I encounter anyone and the mist muffled all sounds.

The nightmare part was it felt very real, unlike a fantasy dream, there was too much detail on all the  little items, the bric abrac in an elderly persons home, the Ferguson telly, wooden style radios, polyester clothes hanging up. There was no one around but it had the vague dread of something just out of the corner of your eye. I ended up sitting in a living room, having found a chair with a cover and thrown it off to reveal a less glassy chair underneath, making a cup of tea and staring out into a mist shrouded garden with no idea what to do or where to go next.

No comments:

Post a Comment