Thursday, September 22, 2016

Office of Doom

The building was a mass of strange corridors, short flights of stairs, and doors that seemed to lead into more corridors and stairs. None of it made sense, but I knew there was something I had to do here and get out before I was discovered. The doors were wooden, varnished, and panelled with signs carved into little wooden plaques.

I remember thinking I was half way through giving myself a haircut. I knew it was incomplete, but the task at hand was more important. But it was too late. I'd been discovered. The only thing I could do was to distract them. When the first one opened his mouth to talk to me - a strange, generic businessman in a brown tweed suit and a shaved head - I just acted like I worked there and ask, "Do you know if we've been paid yet?"

As I moved about the place, opening doors that lead into the sides of corridors and stairs, more of these businessmen milled about, flooding out of lifts. I changed my direction over and over, distracting them with "Do you know if we've been paid yet?" and moving away as they stood in confusion, wondering that very thing to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment